Regional Climate Information
- Annual Average Temperature: 61.5°
- Monthly Average Rainfall: 4.8 inches
- Monthly Average Snowfall/Freezing Rain: .2 inches
- Average Wind Direction: SE
- Average Wind Speed: 7.3 mph
- Elevation Above Mean Sea Level: 600 ft.
Distance from Huntsville
|MILES||KM||HOURS / MINUTES*|
|Fayetteville, TN||31||50||38 mins|
|Lynchburg, TN||48||77||59 mins|
|Pulaski, TN||52||84||1 hr|
|Florence||73||117||1 hr 30 mins|
|Birmingham||99||159||1 hr 30 mins|
|Mobile||361||581||5 hrs 30 mins|
|* Drive times are approximate and will vary depending on location within city and traffic conditions.|
- Largest Employers
- Current Regional Labor Force
- Largest Manufacturers
- Fortune 500 Companies
- Area Population
- Huntsville is the birthplace of the U.S. Space program. The first U.S. rockets to put payloads and Americans into space were designed and built in Huntsville, as were the rockets that put man on the moon.
- Huntsville/Madison County is home to the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC) and the U.S. Army’s Redstone Arsenal.
- Nearly every major U.S. aerospace corporation is represented in Huntsville, 90+ companies employing more than 11,000 people.
- Military and support contract employment tops 32,000.
- NASA’s MSFC and support contractors employ more than 8,000 in the Huntsville region.
- Huntsville’s Cummings Research Park is the country’s second largest research and technology park, 300 companies employing 25,000 people in technology research and development.
- More than half of the U.S. Army’s weapons procurement budgets are managed in Huntsville. All U.S. Army aviation, missile and missile defense programs are managed in Huntsville.
- More than half of the U.S. Army’s foreign military sales are managed in Huntsville.
- Total federal budgets managed in Huntsville exceed $24 billion annually.
- NATO’s MEADS missile defense program office is headquartered in Huntsville. Germany, Italy and the U.S. are partnered on the development of the next generation theater missile defense program, MEADS.
- November 2012, Metro Magnets Index, named Huntsville among Fastest Growing U.S. Cities
- July 2012, Kiplinger’s Magazine, ranked Huntsville 3rd Best Cities for Mid-Career Professionals in the nation
- March 2012, Gallup, ranked Huntsville 4th Most Optimistic City in America
- December 2011, Milken Institute, named Huntsville one of the Top 10 Best Performing Cities in the Country
- September 2011, CNN Money, named Huntsville one of the nation’s Leading Places to Retire
- July 2011, Huntsville named one of Forbes Leading Metros for Business.
Community Data Links
- Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce
- Huntsville-Madison County Convention and Visitors Bureau
- State of Alabama
- Governor of Alabama
- Alabama Department of Environmental Management
- Alabama Department of Commerce
- Alabama Department of Revenue
- Alabama Department of Industrial Relations
- Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT)
- Business Council of Alabama
- Northern Alabama Industrial Development Association (NAIDA)
- North Alabama International Trade Association (NAITA)
- Economic Development Partnership of Alabama (EDPA)
- Huntsville City Schools
- Madison County Schools
- Madison City Schools
- Huntsville/Madison County Private Schools
- University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Alabama A&M University
- Oakwood College
- Calhoun Community College
- J.F. Drake Technical College
- The Alabama College System